Thursday, December 16, 2010

Why do you doubt?

Verse of the Day:
Matthew 14:28-31

“Lord, it it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
“Come,” He said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.  But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Immediately, Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” He said, “why did you doubt?”

We all probably know the story of Jesus walking on water.  I actually didn’t know until I read this a couple days ago that Peter walked on water (for a little while at least), too.  Peter puts his trust in Jesus by telling him that if Jesus says it is him out there that he will walk out to him.  Jesus reassures Peter that it is Him and Peter starts walking toward Him, but as soon as the wind starts to blow, Peter’s faith is shaken.
How many times do we do something like this? 

1.       Think about starting something new and scary and ask God if He will be there for us our new path (maybe walking on water? ;)
2.       Actually start the something scary trusting that God is right there with us.
3.       Venture out a little further on our journey (possibly slightly unsure of our steps…).
4.       Spot something that makes us nervous (like some scary wind).
5.       And doubt that God has our back anymore.

I know I have gone through those steps many times.  I don’t give God the trust He deserves even though He promises never to leave me.  His hand will always be there to catch us, even when we DO doubt.  We’re lucky people.

The Simple Truth:  Even when we doubt, He NEVER lets us fall.

Pray:
Lord, help me to trust You when I am setting out on new adventures.  I know You will always be there for me even at times when it feels like the whole world is against me.  Amen.

Peace, love & prayers-
K

1 comment: