Tuesday, December 28, 2010

God's Medicine

Verse of the Day:
Proverbs 4:20-22

My child, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. For they are life to those who find them, and healing to all their flesh.

Medicine is pretty awesome. When I have a headache, it’s always relieving to know that I can take some Advil and the pain will go away. When we’re sick, most of the time the doctor can prescribe us something to help us overcome an illness, and in a couple of days we feel fine. But medicine isn’t any good unless you take it. You could go to the doctor, get some medicine, and return home and set the medicine on your nightstand right next to your bed. And then you could grow sicker. You might call the doctor and say, “I don’t understand. I got the prescription, I paid money for it! Why doesn’t it work? I’m getting worse.” The doctor might ask if you’re taking it according to the directions. You might say, “Well, no. But I’ve got it right here in the bottle by my bed!”

The medicine won’t work if it’s in the bottle. It’s gotta be inside you.

The same thing goes with God’s Word. It won’t work if your Bible is sitting on your nightstand next to your bed. It won’t even work just because you read it, or memorize a few lines of scripture. It’ll work when you get it inside of you, to your heart. When you meditate on it and act on what his Word says.

The Simple Truth: Just like medicine, God’s Word will not work until it is inside of you.

Pray:

Lord, help me to read your Word and to take it all in. Help me to take Your medicine of the Bible on a daily basis and to really meditate on it.

Let your light shine.
-Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment