Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Guard Your Heart

Verse of the Day:
Proverbs 4:23

23 Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.

Guard my heart, huh God?  This sound difficult…
I’ll be the first to say that I haven’t always been the greatest at guarding my heart, and I also haven’t always treated others hearts with the respect they deserve.  When I was in middle school, I remember being ‘that girl’ who had a different boyfriend every week, and I loved it.  Boys liked me!  Silly reason to feel valuable, but gimme a break – I was in middle school. ;)  Once I got to high school, things got slightly more serious and I found myself having some control over other people’s hearts, and giving them some control over mine. And there were times that I didn’t guard my heart well enough, and I got hurt.  In college, it was the same story.  Only things were even more serious.  And I got even more hurt.  From all of this, I’ve learned that first and foremost, I need to fill my heart with God.  He will allow someone to fill my heart if its right and I trust that if it isn’t right, He won’t let them in. 
Right now I have this padlocked and dead bolted door on my heart.  It’s possible I am guarding it a little too closely.  When you make mistakes and let people into your heart who shouldn’t be there, that can happen.  But God is showing me a lot and I completely trust that He will open the door soon. 

The Simple Truth: There IS someone out there who your heart doesn’t need protecting from.  Trust God to lead you to that person.

Pray:
Lord, help me to not be reckless with people’s hearts and lead me away from people who may be reckless with mine.  I know You have a great plan for me.  Fill me with You and help me to guard my heart with all I have.  Amen. 

Peace, love & prayers-

No comments:

Post a Comment