Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Saying Thanks

Verse of the Day:
Psalm 100:4

Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.

I'm on student council. These are 3 characteristics of being in such an organization.

1) Nobody knows how much work we do.
2) Nobody CARES how much work we do.
3) Nobody notices how much work we do, unless we mess up.

For realzies. Plain and simple.

Homecoming is coming up, and for student council, that means A LOT of planning. It's a very stressful time of year. Everyone else in the school thinks it's totally fun and it's kind of a 'break' from normal school, but as for us, we are stressed to the MAX. Well...most of us at least! So last year I took up the task of heading the Coronation committee. I didn't think it would involve as much work as it did. In actuality, there's a ton of behind the scene stuff that no one knows about. For example, the piano doesn't just appear on stage, the tuxes don't magically fit all the guys right, and the flowers that the women hold don't come out of no where. So when Coronation was over last year, naturally I had a lot of stress lifted off me. I thought it went fine, but the next day there were students and teachers bombarding me!

"Um, the lighting SUCKED."
"The speaker's speech was waaaay too long."
"I think all the sports teams should wear formal to the event."

Those were just some of the comments I heard. It overwhelmed me even more than I had been in the planning process! Then a couple days after Coronation, a friend came up to me with an envelope. Inside, there was a card. That card said "THANK YOU!" in big letters. I didn't get it. I opened it up and read what she had to say. She thanked me for my planning abilities and for making Coronation a really great night. She told me I did a great job. When everyone else was pointing out everything I did wrong, there was someone who was thanking me for doing the job at all.

I think this relates to our prayer life. When we sit down to pray, a majority of us list off the things that went wrong that day. We tell God our wishes and our dreams. We ask God to help us with a math test. We ask God to strengthen someone who is sick. Don't you think God gets overwhelmed with all of those things? Although it is fine to pray about the things I just talked about, God deserves a great big THANK- YOU at the end of every single day. When you had an awful day, think of the things that didn't go wrong. Thank God for the sunshine. Thank God for your house. Thank God for your best friend. Thank God.

The Simple Truth: God deserves a thank-you each and every day!

Pray:

You're on your own today! Come up with a list of things you are thankful for, and tell God!

Let your light shine.
Lo

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having this blog, it's deeply appreciated, especially since you're so busy.

    ps- how are all those college classes going? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Lauren! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete