Monday, September 20, 2010

Gifts

Verse of the Day:
Romans 12:6-8

6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to us.  If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith.  7 If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8 if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully. 

I remember a few times in high school where I literally thought I didn’t have any gifts.  I looked around in school at people who were really talented in sports or academics and their gifts were so obvious.   I watched my older sister Erin succeed in BPA and be at the top of her class academically and knew those were some of her gifts.  I looked at Lauren and saw her amazing musical and acting talents.  I looked at myself and couldn’t see any specific gift that God had given me.  It really bothered me for quite a while that I didn’t really feel like I had anything to offer that was so much different than anyone else.

As I have grown up I have realized that the gifts that God blesses us with aren’t always things that we can see right away – talent at sports or music or something like that.  Sometimes our gifts are being an encourager, serving people, or being a teacher.  Within the last few years I have realized that these are my true gifts from God and I wouldn’t trade them for anything (Lauren’s voice was a close one though ;) ).  I LOVE TO SERVE.  One of my favorite parts of every summer is going to Summer Fest because I get to hang out with amazing kids and ‘counsel’ them.   I love working with kids in anyway and helping to make a positive difference in their lives.  Not everyone enjoys doing that and I know God gave me that gift for a reason. 

The Simple Truth:  When you feel like God has given gifts and talents to everyone else and skipped you, look at little deeper inside yourself.  You have something that He has given you that really makes you, YOU.  

Pray:
Lord, help me to realize my gifts and to use them in the way that You intended me to.  If I am having trouble seeing them, place me in situations where my gifts will be tested and I will be able to see them shining through.  You are a great God for everything you have blessed us with.  Amen. 

Peace, love & prayers-
K

No comments:

Post a Comment