Thursday, September 2, 2010

Leading Your Flock

Verse of the Day:
1 Peter 5:2-3

2 Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers – not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; 3 not lording over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. 

Do you feel like you’re a leader?  Well whether or not you do, you are.  There are constantly people that you don’t even know about who are watching how you life your life as an example of how to live theirs.  It might be younger siblings, cousins, people at school, or teammates.  I can still remember people that I looked up to when I was in elementary and middle school.  They may have never or rarely talked to me, but I knew a lot about them.  Creepy, I know.  hahahah.  God has made you to be examples of what it means to live like a good Christian and He so badly wants you to not have control over or ‘lord’ these people, but to just be a good example to them.  He also wants you to be willing.  I think that being an example and overseeing His flock is a great and actually pretty easy way to serve Him.

Knowing that you’re a leader and that people are looking up to you helps you make good decisions in your life.  I know can think of a few times when I have been tempted or ask to do something that I knew probably wasn’t a good idea and I thought ‘Would I want to tell Lauren about this?  Would I want to tell my Summerfest girls about this?’ and if the answer was no, I didn’t do it.  By trying to be an example to others, I make better decisions in my life.

The Simple Truth:  People are watching you even when you don’t know it.  Strive to constantly be a good example to those who God has entrusted to you.

Apply:  Make an effort to interact with people who you think you might be an example to.  Your smile in the hallway, invite to a party, or just a kind word could change their life.

Pray:
Lord, I pray for everyone who is a leader. Give us courage to lead. Give us tender hearts to serve. Help us to be strong in our faith and to make good decisions. Give us vision and grace. Help us to lead like Jesus.   Amen.

Peace, love & prayers-
K

No comments:

Post a Comment