Thursday, February 3, 2011

Twice as Powerful as Prayer

Verse of the Day:
1 Chronicles 16:23


Sing to the Lord, all the earth; proclaim his salvation day after day


I teach voice lessons. The girl I teach is super smart and very insightful. Today we were working on an English folk song, and all of the sudden she started rambling about how the words of the song were a metaphor for the composer's lost love and how the oak tree in the song compared to the heart of the person who wrote the song. It literally took me a second to figure out that she was even talking about the SONG. I personally had never actually READ the words, I had just sung them. I wasn't concerned on what the words were saying, I was just concerned of what the notes were and when I should take a breath.


My great grandmother always said that "songs are twice as powerful as prayer". I really agree with that, but sometimes I forget to put MEANING behind the words I sing. I think we all do sometimes. Next time you are singing in church or listening to the Christian radio station, THINK about the words you are singing. They are beautiful and really lift up the Lord. Think about what you're singing, and it'll be twice as powerful.


The Simple Truth: Songs are powerful things and really praise God, but sometimes we forget to put meaning behind the words we sing.


Pray: 


Lord, help me to pay attention to the words I am singing to You. Help me to lift Your name up so that I may praise you with my music. Amen.


Let your light shine.
-Lo



No comments:

Post a Comment