Monday, February 28, 2011

Appearance

Verse of the Day:
Proverbs 31:30


Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but the woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.


When I was in high school I never felt the need to look excessively nice.  I wore a little make up to school and got dressed up some days, but I remember the majority of the days I was okay with rolling out of bed 15 minutes before school started and going in my sweatpants.  Then I came to college.  People DID care about what they looked like.  A lot.  They put more makeup on for class than I did for prom.  They didn't wear sweatpants to 7:45 a.m. class.  Instead, they got up at 6:00 a.m. to pick out the perfect outfit FOR CLASS.  All of the sudden I felt this pressure I'd never felt before to look really 'put together' on a daily basis.  And soon I was paying much more attention to my outward appearance than my inward appearance.

Sometimes we get caught up in what other people and society tell us we should care about and we spend valuable time worrying about what we look like and how others perceive us.  It's hard to think about now, but our bodies are aging every single day and someday we will grow old.  The things that are going to define us won't be our clothes or what we look like, but the kind of person we are, the good deeds we do,  and our faith in God will be things that stick with us forever.

The Simple Truth: Focus on things that will withstand the test of time.  Try to focus as much time on your spiritual appearance as your physical appearance.

Pray:
Lord, help me to remember that the things that define me aren't the things in my outer appearance.  Remind me everyday to take time to work on who I am as a person and to grow to be more like you.  Amen.

Peace, love & prayers -
K

No comments:

Post a Comment