Monday, February 21, 2011

Children of God

Verse of the Day:
Matthew 18:3-4

And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.  Therefore, whoever takes the humble position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”

I nanny a 2 and a 4 year old in La Crosse.   I have been watching them a few days a week for the past year and they are always very entertaining to me.  They are at ages where everything is new and fascinating.  The other day, the 2 year old sat for 5 minutes playing with the garbage (one that you push a button and it pops open) because she was absolutely AMAZED by it.  These kids trust the world in a way that doesn’t seem rational to me.  They don’t know people can be bad, they make new best friends everyday on the playground, and they never lose sleep over gossip, lies, or betrayal.  And they know God in the way that God is talking about in this verse.  Once, my friend Elicia who also watches the kids was with them and had on a cross necklace.  The 4 year old pointed at her necklace and said “Jesus died on the cross for my sassy words.”  Simple as that.  No overanalyzing it.  No claiming that he’d never done anything wrong.  Just knowing that God died for US.  Sometimes we get too caught up in everything that is going on in our lives and we forget the simple pleasures God provides us with every day.  God loves when we are willing to follow Him, learn all we can about Him, and rely on Him for comfort and support.

The Simple Truth:  Through the eyes of a child, the world is a simple and amazing place. 

Pray:
Lord, thank You for all the little things You give me and show me on a daily basis that I so often overlook.  Help me to approach the world more like a child – with a humble heart, an innocent mind, and a servant’s hands.  Amen.  

Peace, love & prayers-
K

No comments:

Post a Comment