Monday, January 24, 2011

Character

Verse of the Day:
1 Corinthians 15:33

Do not be misled, bad company corrupts good character.

When I was in high school, I had a really great group of friends.  We all had similar morals and values, none of us drank, and we all were very driven to do well in school, excel in sports, and be involved in as many activities as we could.

I went to college without anyone from Watertown.  I was excited to make a name for myself and not be Erin’s little sister and to make all new friends.  A few weeks into school, I realized I hadn’t met very many people who were like my friends back home.  I was not spending time with people who were building me up in general, and especially not building me up in my faith.  Many of the girls I was hanging out with weren’t concerned about doing well in school, they liked to go out drink 4 nights a week, and they were hanging out with a new boy every day.  These were NOT the type of people I wanted as my friends.  I’m not sure where I would be if that would have been the group of friends I stuck with, but I’m willing to bet it wouldn’t be close to where I am now.

Eventually I did meet people who were much more similar to me.  I’ve met some of the most amazing people at college who my life would be so very different without.  And all of these people have helped me to become a BETTER person.  They’ve made me who I am today and helped me to get where I am right now – and I’m so happy with where that is.  So just like bad company corrupts good character, I think that good company can help your character, even if it’s good already.

The Simple Truth: No matter how much you try to control it, you DO end up becoming similar to the people you spend the most time with.

Pray:
Lord, help me to choose the people I spend my time with wisely.  I know that if I trust You, You will lead me to the people who will help make me who I am supposed to be.  Amen. 

Peace, love & prayers –
K

No comments:

Post a Comment