Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Who are you trying to impress?

Verse of the Day:
Luke 16:15

15 and He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the sight of men, but God knows your hearts; for that which is highly valued among men is detestable in the sight of God.”

I really like people to think I am a good person.  And a good Christian.  Sometimes I do things like go to church, help people out, or go out of my way to do something for someone for all the wrong reasons.  I do it to look good.  I think that if people around see me going to church and ‘going through the motions’ they will think I am a good Christian.  I think that if I help people they will think I am nice and will hopefully return the favor when I need it.  I sometimes go out of my way to do things for someone just so they will like me. Now, I am not saying that I ALWAYS think this way because I definitely don’t, but I do think this way some of the time.   

But no matter what, God knows my heart.  People can think I do things for whatever reason they want, but God knows the real reason for everything I do, say, and think.  He knows my heart and He knows ME.  Why should I be caring about having the approval of people on earth who will be dead in 100 years (Yes, I realize that is really morbid.  But it’s true.), when I should be worried about having the approval of the Creator of the Universe who is going to determine the future of my entire existence?!  When I think of it that way, I do things for the right reasons instead of for earthly ones.

The Simple Truth:  God knows your heart.  Worry about gaining His approval instead of the approval of the people around you.

Pray:
Lord, help me to do things for the right reasons.  I want to be a good person for You, not just so others think I am good.  Keep watch over my heart and help me to serve You every day.  Amen.

Peace, love & prayers-
K

No comments:

Post a Comment