Monday, November 29, 2010

We're backkk!

Verse of the Day:
James 1:19

19 My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.

We are back in action.  Expect a much more consistent blog from now on. J
I love this verse.  Mostly because it is so clear how you can apply something like this to your life.  And even though really does sound hard to live like this on a daily basis, I think we would be amazed at how things would change if we did.

Be quick to listen:  I actually really do like to listen to people.  But sometimes, I just want to tell my story or give my advice!  I consciously have to think about the fact that I need to be focusing on what the person who I am talking to is telling me.  It is easy to get distracted thinking about what you want to say next or even with other things going on in your head, but listening to someone and focusing on them and only them is an amazing gift that you can give a person.

Be slow to speak:   I have trouble with this a lot.  Something comes to my mind, and I want to say it immediately!  A lot of times I don’t completely think through what I am saying, and after it comes out of my mouth I want to just shove it back in.  Especially when you’re having a conversation with someone who wants your advice, being slow to speak and thinking through what you say is extremely important.   When God suggest we are slow to speak, I think He wants us to evaluate how much it is going to help the person or the situation. 

Be slow to get angry: People are going to hurt us.  People are going to do things and say things that we wish they wouldn’t.  But hurt is just a part of life.  When we are angry with someone, we are making life harder for ourselves and for that person.  I am nowhere near perfect, but I’ve learned that holding grudges is never worth it.  I try my hardest look at the situation from the outside and be able to either forgive the person, or be able to talk over a solution with them.  God doesn’t want us to spend our time being angry and bitter toward others.  We’re all in this together.  God gave us other people so life would be a little easier to get through.

Pray:
Lord, please help me to follow Your advice every day that I live.  Help me to think through my thoughts and actions and be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.  You are a great God.  Amen.

Peace, love & prayers-
K

No comments:

Post a Comment